(urth) The argument for Intractability

Andrew Dubbeld andy at foisdin.com
Thu Dec 25 06:03:16 PST 2008

Jeff Wilson wrote:
> Right, however Jesus did have/has enduring union with the divine,
> post-Ascension. Severian seems to *lose* union with the divine, taking
> up once again mortal habits like sleeping in his bower on Ushas.

At very least, he seems to have retained his ability to travel to different periods, etc.

I'm halfway through a re-read of Urth: from memory, I got the impression that he lost his communion with the divine by the end, but he writes as if he still has the ability to go anywhere / do anything.

i.e. revisiting the inn with the resurrected dead man, and fancying that he is three or four of the people who aided him in the night.