(urth) AEG clones

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Tue Dec 23 15:42:06 PST 2008

James Wynn wrote:
> That's true, and time-disjunction is addressed in the story. But then it is
> only addressed in the sense of ethermail, so one has to clear some brambles
> in order to qualify that theory.

Here is some additional evidence: there is a huge palace on Takanga
Ha'i, "terrace after terrace... accented with palms" (247). How long
would it take to build such a place with native labor? How long to sell
enough gold to afford it, making only small quantities at a time?
Fast-growing palm trees take ten years to reach a height of 25 feet. I
suggest this palace is the work of a decade or more, longer than the
president who appointed Reis' replacement has been in office.

Suppose by Woldercan time-warping Reis returned "early," while his
counterpart was still in Woldercan. This would give him time to get his
island kingdom and financial empire set up under aliases. At the
scheduled time he could jump in a hopper and "return" from space as
Ambassador Reis.

Sharon may have attempted to trace all this and gotten puzzled. Hence
her apparently silly question to Cassie about the Reis/Rosenquist
connection (237).