(urth) AEG clones

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 16:41:29 PST 2008

> One of the problems with this clone theory is that there should be some
> sort
> of coordination among clones in order to avoid tripping each other up and
> exposing themselves. That in turn necessitates one individual as the prime
> individual who benefits from the coordinated actions of the others.

I thought that was the whole point of the clone theory. The clone theory
allows murderer Reis to give Cassie a deadly bracelet, and island king
Rosenquist to fall in love with Cassie and take it back and give her a
diamond one instead. They would need each other, but they have their own
desires out of life. Reis would want to rule "his island in a sea of black"
liberated from the Squid God, but Rosenquist would want to rule his island
in a sea of blue liberated from the Squid God. You pointed out how
suspicious it is that we never meet Rian. But maybe we did. Maybe he doesn't
look like he's 16 years old. Maybe he looks just like the guy who is
bank-rolling Cassie's play.

> Otherwise, each individual will have his own agenda, which will lead to
> conflicts. Reis was a megalomaniac. As such, he could never tolerate
> rivals
> of equal knowledge, powers and resources.

Not necessarily so. He might see it as necessary to accomplish his purposes.
His obsessive self-cloning could be the primary presentation of his
meglomania, and "a touch of meglomania" might be the signiture emotion of
the clones.

>Part of his stated ego trip was
>that he and he alone would possess the most desirable woman
>in the world.

It depends on which clone we are talking about. The benefit of a clone story
is that one can use it to examine the nature of the soul and identity (as in
the movie "Dark City") which seems to be Wolfe's favorite theme: Take a man
and slightly alter his memory and/or personal history. Will he turn out the
same?

>If only one guy gets the girl . . . things are bound to get ugly.

Or if one wants the girl win the most desirable woman and another sees her
as a terrible threat. IF the clone theory is correct, then Cassie seems to
suspect on a subconcious level that one of them doesn't want to win her-- he
wants to kill her. (pg 181)

J.