(urth) Particolored Brocade

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Sat Dec 20 11:08:35 PST 2008

:::::::::::::::::::::
Exactly.
I've been playing with black sun and black halo icons for that reason.
would be important to not give away too much if they were interstitial illustrations.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

>I also have wondered about Ymar. How and why did he start the Autarchy? Wouldn't the alzabo be needed for this, and thus, presumably, Father Inire? Why and when did Father Inire get involved with the Commonwealth? Were the death of Typhon and the appearance of the Conciliator a cause, or Ymar's just rule itself? Severian tells him, " 'Ymar, someday you will become the ruler. You'll be the monarch, although I don't think you'll call yourself that. Try to rule for Urth, and not just in Urth's name as so many have. Rule justly, or at least as justly as circumstances permit.' "

::::::::::::::::::::::::
Yeah I wander about that too, and Ymar confuses The Trial a bit, in that Appian was a bit of a fraudulent set up.  what does that say about Ymar's testing?  Overeagerness?

>The Guild may have already existed under Typhon, however. At least, an office existed that carried out torture for the monarch. But it uses a "strange uniform" rather than fuligin and may not use the term "journeyman." (Severian is vague on that point.) They are clearly not military but another branch, but are closer to being military than in Severian's time: "another journeyman with a vouge, looking almost like a soldier." So that's several points on which Severian created his own legend.
The circularity of myth here is what leads me to consider the timeloop paradox as intractable.  There can't be a Severian who doesn't become New Sun and then Conciliator, because there most likely wouldn't have been a Guild to nurture him or a Conciliator to inspire him, and perhaps much of Civilization would have been different without Apu Punchau.  Who knows though?
>His face would undoubtedly be depicted unscarred and possibly young-looking.

and "beaming" I believe it was described.