(urth) OT: Vance Autobiography

Adam Thornton adam at io.com
Thu Dec 18 20:50:42 PST 2008

On Dec 18, 2008, at 9:25 PM, brunians at brunians.org wrote:

> This is a requirement?
>> Hasn't written a best-seller?
>>>> Same reason he hasn't won a Hugo.

Well, pretty much.

Hugos are voted on by fandom (specifically, Worldcon members).  Which
does mean that a) a lot of people had to have read it, and b) a lot of
people had to have liked it.

If I were being really snotty I'd say something about Wolfe's work
clearly being too erudite for the mass of red-Lycra-wearing mouth-
breathing Star Trek Reenactors, or something like that, but I'm not.
Hell, I've gone to cons and enjoyed myself too.  I'll just say that
winning a Hugo does require a mass appeal that, perhaps, Wolfe lacks.

Has he won a Nebula?  Why, yes.  The Nebula, on the other hand, is
voted on by SFWA members.

Adam