(urth) Crowley and mystery

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Dec 18 06:34:07 PST 2008

Speaking of the Jerusalem Quartet---I'm not very familiar with it though
I have read reviews. A quick google came up with the following description:

Sinai Tapestry, originally published in 1977, is the first book of
Edward Whittemore's Jerusalem Quartet: four novels that make the long,
complex history of the Middle East comprehensible as no other books do,
and that do so by creating an alternate version of history - part real
and part imagined (and what pleasure, while reading, to speculate on
what, in the novels, is real and what imagined!) - that begins, in this
first book, by telling the story of how early in the nineteenth century,
Skanderbeg Wallenstein, a fanatical Trappist monk from Albania, comes
upon what is "with out question the oldest Bible in the world" and
discovers that "It denied every religious truth ever held by anyone"

What would happen, then, he wonders - in ways not so different from the
actual speculations of twentieth century Biblical scholars - "if the
world suddenly suspected that Mohammed might well have lived six
centuries before Christ" or that Christ had been a minor prophet in the
age of Elijah" or "that the virtues of Mary and Fatima and Ruth had been
confused in the minds of later chroniclers and freely interchanged among
them?"

"Melchizedek must have his City of Peace," Wallenstein. concludes, just
as men must have their Jerusalem" Believing that faith must be sustained
in the world, Wallenstein also believes that if the cause for faith is
absent, then it is his duty to provide it. "The decision he had made in
his cell," Whittemore tells us, "was to forge the original Bible."

But this forgery - what has led to it, and what issues from it-becomes,
in Sinai Tapestry, an imaginative conceit that informs the entire
Quartet: It is Whittemore's way of asking us to consider the many ways
in which illusions can give birth to realities, by which realities can
be transformed by dreams, and - above all - through which the real and
the imagined can conspire to create those events and legends that
determine how we live, love, and die.

At a high level of abstraction, this sounds not very different from
TBotNS. Wolfe also forges an alternate history but on a vaster scale, a
history in which the miraculous truth and mundane deceit are conflated.
Note the line about Mary and Fatima and Ruth; after chiliads, the same
has occurred on Urth. And the last paragraph especially.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 081217-0, 12/17/2008
Tested on: 12/18/2008 9:34:08 AM