(urth) OT: Vance Autobiography

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Thu Dec 18 04:35:11 PST 2008

John Watkins wrote:
> I read The Dying Earth entirely because of Wolfe and this list, and I
> found it not to be too my taste.

I read and enjoyed it a long time ago (before reading much Wolfe), and
also his "Demon Prince" series, which I liked for style and
culture-building.

 From this list, I started reading some Stephenson. I loved "The Diamond
Age" and "Anathem" -- both have strong techno-nerd plots that lead into
esoteric mysteries by the end. He also has a weird sense of humor that
sometimes works for me and sometimes not. I tried to start "Snow Crash"
but found it too absurd. A protagonist named Protagonist? No way.