(urth) OT: Vance Autobiography

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 17:51:26 PST 2008

I entirely agree. For style, Erikson is NOT your man. (And that made me seriously hesitate mentioning him on this list.) And, like you said, his characterization is inconsistent, which is a real problem in books with upwards of 200 characters sometimes. Still, the fun there is the world building/history/politics. The problem is that he forgot to populate it with interesting people. So I read it like fake history (Silmarillion-style), and I can overlook the shortcomings. (Although I think that even Silmarillion had its stylistic charms.)

And I've heard only good things about Rothfuss, too. But I always have a problem starting a series before it's finished. You never know if the author is going to die before finishing it (e.g., Robert Jordan).