(urth) AEG partial timeline

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Tue Dec 16 23:31:46 PST 2008

Dave Tallman wrote:
> Here is an approximate timeline, based on 2066 = /Star Trek/+100 years
> ("One hundred years ago, men dreamed of it [space travel]. They thought
> there'd be a world government before it came, that ignorance and poverty
> would've been eliminated" p 70):
>
>     * 2036 Bob Chase appointed first ambassador to Woldercan. Gideon
>       Chase born.
>     * 2040 Klauser appointed ambassador to Woldercan. Bob Chase leaves
>       with Gideon, age 4.
>     * 2050 Reis marries first wife (Norma, in my theory).
>     * 2051 Rian born.
>     * 2052 Reis and first wife are divorced.
>     * 2056 Ingstrup elected, Reis appointed as ambassador to Woldercan.
>       Travels with second wife.
>     * 2060 Ingstrup runs again, probably re-elected. Reis remains
>       ambassador.
>     * 2064 New president (seen in chapter 1) elected. Reis replaced,
>       returns to Earth.
>     * 2067 Events of /An Evil Guest/, when Rian is 16. Gideon Chase is 31.
>
> Any additions or corrections? I've made Klauser serve 16 years so that
> Gid can be older.

There is no basis, textual or otherwise, to suppose that Klauser served more
than the usual 8 years for a political appointment made by a two-term
president. I listed the order of ambassadors in an earlier post. As stated
in chapter 1, ambassadorships are normally given to major campaign
contributors. It is the norm for each newly-elected president to make his
own appointments, and the president is limited by law to two elected
four-year terms. It is very unlikely that Klauser served more than one
president. There is also no reason to suppose that Bob Chase served only
four years as ambassador.

-Roy