(urth) AEG clones...send them in

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Mon Dec 15 00:08:44 PST 2008

James Wynn wrote:
> Look, Reis says that he saw Cassie for the first time wearing a green dress
> at the party. He says he didn't see the final performance of "The Red Spot".
> Even though we know he saw her in the play. What possible reason could he
> have to lie to Cassie about that? Maybe he found the truth aesthetically
> unappealing?

How much a person lies and why gives important insights into his or her
character. Cassie lies compulsively, even in situations where the other
person knows she is lying ("I won the lottery. That's the total,
absolute, brass-bound truth" p. 120), and when she was specifically
warned not to lie ("If anyone asks, tell them the absolute truth about
my coming here today and my leaving here" (p. 94).  "He hasn't been in
contact..." (p. 124)).

Reis seems to be different. He lies only for calculated reasons, and
expects he'll have to admit the truth eventually. When Cassie calls him
"Bill" and asks if he found anything in her apartment, he says she has
saved him weeks and admits the search (p. 119). So you're right, I
prefer to find logical explanations for his lies rather than say that he
simply felt like it.