(urth) AEG clones

stoneox17 at aol.com stoneox17 at aol.com
Sun Dec 14 14:46:02 PST 2008

 Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net> writes

===============
Also at Rusterman's, Reis said:
"You were wearing green the first time I saw you."
"In the play? I wasn't. That was brown."
"So it was. I was thinking of the party. I took you home, remember?"
Cassie nodded. "Thank you. You saw _The Red Spot_, though. The final
performance."
"I didn't. I know I said I did, but that was . . ."
"Diplomacy?"
"Yes, exactly. India had given me tickets, and I didn't want to admit I
hadn't used them."(119)

Diplomacy? Cassie had seen him in the audience (53), and at the cast
party
he said he had been there. (66) So was he lying then or now? Sure, his
first
sight of her could have been on vid; he demonstrated the capability to
her
three months later in his car. But Gid had put the glamour on her less
than
twenty-four hours before that final performance. So who did she see in
the
audience?
============

I have a theory here. At first, Cassie looks out at the audience from a
peephole, and doesn't see Reis. While she is onstage, she glances out
and sees him, and later, she looks out from the peephole again and
doesn't see him (52-53). This is all in the chapter titled "The Unseen
Audience." My theory is that Reis was there the whole time, but he was
using his powers of invisibility, and somehow, while she is onstage,
Cassie's
glamour enable her to see him, but it only works while she's acting.

This seems more likely than Reis having  snuck in and out during the
performance unnoticed (although he could have used his powers for
that as well.

So the reason that Reis claims he wasn't there is that he has no idea
anyone was able to see him.

Peter