(urth) Aside on Christ figures in TBotNS

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Fri Dec 12 14:03:34 PST 2008

>He's a Sufficiently Advanced Alien.  Such creatures are
>indistinguishable from gods from a mortal viewpoint (although not, of
>course, from the viewpoint of the Increate.)

What if the Archangel Gabriel is a Sufficiently Advanced Alien?
does that change anything? everything?
or is the Sufficiently Advanced Alien still on a mission from on high?
Can only Angels work Gods plan, or can Aliens too?

Many will argue that there are "Higher Beings" out there. In the old days, we called them Djinn, Angels, Demons, Gods, etc, and saw them in flying chariots?  Our modern material minds, when apprehending them, seem to see Aliens in saucers.  Are they the same entities?  If so, what does that tell us?

I think the Heirogrammites and Heirodules are the same entities that past speculation has called Archangels and Angels. I'm not saying that Tzadkiel IS an Archangel, any more than I'm saying Severian is Jesus.  Tzadkiel and Gabriel are just different ways our human minds have wrapped around the experience of these Higher Beings.  Same with Severian and Jesus.  That EITHER of those characters are "real" is HIGHLY unlikely, but the prospect that these "characters" are trying to express some higher being that IS existent seems much more likely to me. This is where Wolfe keeps it ambiguous and leaves it to faith.

~SonOfWitz