(urth) The Will Of God

brunians at brunians.org brunians at brunians.org
Sun Dec 7 15:34:58 PST 2008

> The one thing that's bothered me about multiple timelines is that it only
> makes any difference if you can actually move between them. That's great
> for stories where that happens, but even if it is true, if "I" only exist
> and ever will exist in one timeline, then all the rest might as well not
> exist.

> In other words, the idea of multiple timelines only really becomes
> speculatively interesting if time travel is a real possibility. Otherwise,
> the answer to "what if there are multiple timelines?" is, for all pratical
> purposes, "It doesn't matter."

> Of course, within speculative fiction, all kinds of great stuff can come
> from the idea. But when it becomes an actual metaphysical speculation, I
> just don't really know what to do with it.

Well! It's hard to say what's real and what's not real in these matters,
but there are known methods for both moving from one timeline to another
and for perceiving what is happening in other ones, which involve the use
of various drugs and other magickal techniques.

Anyway, I am personally convinced of the reality of multiple timelines due
to various experiences that I have had. If you have not had these or
similar experiences, it is no surprise to me that you are skeptical: that
is a reasonable attitude to have.

It's like telepathy or bilocation or any of that stuff: if you experience
it, it is real to you.

I don't know if time *travel* is possible. I believe that seeing other
times is possible, with the same caveats as above.

.