(urth) The Will Of God

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sun Dec 7 14:47:54 PST 2008

Ah, but you said, "That's it." As in, it's that simple. Now you're saying it's not that simple: "either He wills it to occur, or he chooses not to prevent it."

This seems like a huge distinction to me. Creating a big enough space to fit a four-volume novel or three, maybe.

Anyway, we can't ever know which is which, but we can speculate. Especially since the actual topic here is not God's actual will, but a mere novel depicting such events.

(For the same reason, I'd say "occur" vs "not occur" is pretty well useless in analyzing TbotNS. We have only "Severian said it occurred."

And even within that category, can something occur and then become something that has not occurred? I'd say so. Maybe not in TBotNS, but certainly in Wolfe and any time you are dealing with alternative timelines. I mean something more than "I thought it occurred, but then I found out it didn't.")

Message: 2