(urth) An Old mystery ...

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 14:15:23 PST 2008

On 12/5/08, Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com> wrote:
> John Watkins wrote:
> > Roy explained it back in June.
> >

> http://lists.urth.net/htdig.cgi/urth-urth.net/2008-June/009108.html
> >

> His argument is well reasoned, but it rests on some fine hair splitting that
> falls below the demonstrated level of lexical resolution of dialogue in the
> Book that is translated across universes and back in time. "we condemned"
> simply can't be taken at literal face value in a book deliberately written
> to be ambiguous at every level.

"We have condemned" strikes me as remarkably straight-forward.  A
character claims responsibility for something that, logically, she
would be better off denying.  What's your proposed reading of that
bit?

I guess it could mean "We (by not taking direct action after Typhon
screwed everything up) have (in effect) condemned..." but that seems
to me to be a more tortured reason.

Additionally, without Apheta's claim of responsibility for the black
hole, what are we to make of it?