(urth) Audio recordings of Wolfe

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Fri Dec 5 13:37:26 PST 2008

Just now, I got nowhere trying to search aph.org for Wolfe or New Sun.
any links?

As I've mentioned before, I scrounged the web for Wolfe audiobooks.
I found MP3 recordings of the Tapes read by Roy Avers (great reading).
I assembled them all up into M4U audiobook format for consolidation and the Resume function.  I can make them available on line via megaupload or something.

Again, I'm not sure if this is welcome or not.  I really only care if wolfe would be upset or not. any ideas anyone?

I did receive one request from someone who wanted a visually impaired family member to finally get into Wolfe.  I lost the email though, and have not been able to respond. (Curse whoever designed my webmail and put the Delete button so close to the Inbox button.)

What I would have said, is that these recordings have serious problems.  During the Lake Diaturna section, it wobbles in and out of audibility.  Overall, there are many points like this, and the volume wavers a lot.  So I would not recommend them for anyone's first pass on the books.  However, they are very good for reviewing the material if you've read them already. Much of my insights into subtext have come while listening rather than reading, and have allowed a third pass almost simultaneous to my second read.

anyway, no one really bit when I mentioned it. does anyone want them?
I've listened to Sword, Citadel, most of Urth, and a chunk of Shadow. they sound good enough. I was going to wait until I'd listened to all of them, but, hell, they're as-is, so what I found is what I could share.
I also have Wizard Knight, 3 of the long suns and one or two of the short suns.

and Nigel,
I haven't heard details, but I hope you're feeling better.

best,
~witz