(urth) Something Newish

Transentient transentient at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 06:13:08 PST 2008

I have a particularly vivid memory from before I could walk or talk. I
was crawling along the floor of the kitchen and I found the dog's
bowl. I remember thinking, since the dog eats it, it must be good, so
I stuffed a piece in my mouth, and then my mother started freaking out
and the dog was looking at me amusedly.

On Dec 5, 2008, at 12:52 AM, brunians at brunians.org wrote:

> I think that Wizard Knight is Wolfe's ideas of the kind of thing that
> happens to a decent, relatively innocent, but non-Christian person
> after
> death: the world that Able finds himself in is his purgatory.
>
> Does anyone here remember being born? I remember being circumcised (I
> would have been eight days old), and I have memories that seem to
> precede
> that, but it is very hard to say.
>

>> My main point, in this and others of the conceededly tiresome threads
>> on this topic, has been to argue that the Gene Wolfe who depicts
>> non-Christian faiths so empathetically in Long Sun, Short Sun, Latro,
>> etc., is likely a big believer in so-called anonymous
>> Christianity.  I
>> very much doubt that he thinks that all of those people on Urth are
>> going straight to Hell--just try to imagine Silk, for example,
>> explaining to Horn that everyone who doesn't follow the Outsider will
>> burn eternally.  It's jarring, and almost certainly not where Wolfe
>> is
>> going with the destruction of Urth.
>>
>> Because of this, I don't see Severian's "Christ-like" characteristics
>> as implying any kind of moral sanction for the Ushas choice unless
>> there's something deeper going on--a third layer, behind the
>> Hierogrammates, where the Increate is working some kind of subtle
>> magic.  What this is, however, is a mystery I haven't solved yet.
>>
>> And so I get frustrated when, on this list, many who are not
>> Christians themselves sort of imply that this monstrous act in the
>> book is something that I should just be gung-ho about because, well,
>> the Christian God is pretty much a monster Himself.  I don't buy
>> that,
>> and I don't think Wolfe does, and I think it misses the mark in
>> understanding the New Sun.
>>
>> Anyway, that's my take.  I've said it.

>>> Coming...the
>>>>

>>> Fair enough.  But, the end of everything is a limited genocide?  I
>>> guess
>>> you
>>> can argue that, but there is always the ever present and tiring
>>> argument
>>> that the billions of non-Christians slated to go to hell is about
>>> as bad
>>> as
>>> the drowning of most of Urth.  However, that is a surface level and
>>> facile
>>> argument that I'm not going to put forward.  To me, that's about the
>>> level
>>> of "if God is so good, how come he let's kids die" argument, which I
>>> also
>>> think is facile.
>>>
>>> I'm going to definitely concede that one area that Severian is very
>>> UNChristlike is that he isn't aware of his (possible) connection
>>> with
>>> the
>>> Divine plan.  Christ certainly knows where his bread is buttered.
> [...]
>>> doesn't.  But again, at root this is all a "Sev has some echos of
>>> the