(urth) House Absolute

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 4 19:10:59 PST 2008

Delany's "reading protocol" has less to do with actual science than with a willingness to allow language to affect our imaginations in ways that break usual possibilities.

In some ways, it's the opposite of having a shared scientific background. It's more about readers being willing to allow their sense of "reality" (or, in this case, "scientific possibility") to be altered with a single word or phrase.

He's got an example of a hypothetical story that starts out with the sentence: "The red sun is high, the blue low." And he talks about how a science fiction audience reacts to this kind of sentence by constructing a kind of consistency (or "world") around the given data/words rather than expecting it to conform.

But that's from his early stuff. Later, he got all deconstruction-y.