(urth) Pantocrator

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Dec 4 12:29:23 PST 2008

That Christ looks ready to CAGE FIGHT!

Seriously, I considered making a certain point regarding the evidence of Urth's age but didn't want to fan the fire. The theology issue seems a better context.

Consider how many references there are in Severian's thoughts to different cosmological or religious concepts that may or may not work together. I don't know enough to make a specific argument, but I think we can agree it would be somewhat odd if we went back to Byzantium, grabbed a random townsman and interrogated him, and found that his head was full of all sorts of bits and pieces of different heresies and orthodoxies and cults. (Note: I don't deny that any orthodoxy may contradict itself, but that's not what I mean.) Perhaps such people existed, but orthodoxy is orthodoxy and heresy is heresy.

But Severian seems to believe everything, or perhaps his culture does, and he makes reference to an enormous number of ideas without making any distinction or judgment. He talks of the Black Sun, the Demiurge, pantocrators, hypostases, Abaddon, on and on. This is just how Wolfe uses such words in TBotNS---consider the names of prehistoric beasts.

EVERYTHING EXISTS. (As the Heirodules said about time.) Just look at the Lexicon. And it doesn't matter whether these ideas appear to contradict one another or not. They appear to have collected over chiliads, and their disassociation from their time of origin has a certain flattening effect.

This technique creates a world that seems more complex than we can handle in one reading, but it's an illusion. If Wolfe had said "elephant" and "horse," and God/Jesus/Jupiter/Juno, we wouldn't be here discussing these mysteries.

My side point is that I feel forced to read the various geological-historical clues the same way. Ultimately, none can be trusted; they must all be taken as devices.

Message: 7