(urth) An Old mystery ...

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Dec 4 10:50:16 PST 2008

John---

That's exactly right, as far as I'm concerned. Severian is a kind of apocalyptic tattooed biker Jesus! (There's an inspiration for the graphic novel.)

Of course this doesn't mean Pelagianism necessarily has to be swallowed whole, and I wouldn't even know if it was or not. But your comment does make me wonder whether Severian really does participate in an atonement at all. He is merely molded, judged, and cast aside; his life is not his own but he does live---quite a bit.

And more than he would have if he had been allowed to drown in Gyoll because no subtle angels desired that his life continue. He's more of a faery consort, chosen, taken, and spat back to Urth a generation later.

Per the previous thread, he seems more connected to the Second Coming and Judgment as "Urth's executioner" than to a sacrificed Sun God. His deaths and resurrections are more plot puzzles than they are climaxes---exactly as you say.

Message: 5