(urth) "Goodbye Old Buddy" -- Pirate Freedom murder mystery, take two

Allan Anderson rubel at goosemoon.org
Thu Dec 4 07:49:02 PST 2008

brunians at brunians.org wrote:
>> The first trip of Chris to the past resulted in the early invention of
>> the jib sail. Perhaps the changes brought about by Chris and his
>> descendants pushed technology along faster than in our world.
>>

> I am extremely skeptical of the jib sail being invented as late as the
> late eighteenth century. It just pegs my BS detector.

Well, this site (
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/sail-sails.htm )
says "Until the jib was invented in the 18th century,..."

It's an interesting read, with some descriptions of ship designs which
remind me a bit of Chris's. With all the mentions of Fr. Chris looking
up internet sites on pirates, I imagine Wolfe did a bit of the same.