(urth) "Goodbye Old Buddy" -- Pirate Freedom murder mystery, take two

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Thu Dec 4 04:19:12 PST 2008

Henry Eissler wrote:
>     Of course, I forgot that even Fr. Chris' time was in our future.  I
> don't remember anything about city-to-city monorails, though.

Near the part about temptation we were talking about, Fr. Chris said he
could take the monorail to New Jersey (p. 226).
>     But the manuscript that Chris passed on to his 'confessor' doesn't
> really identify the monastery.  It's walking distance to Havana, but how
> unique is that?

The name of the monastery is given: Our Lady of Bethlehem (p. 58).

>     Still, your Bram Burt-as-mastermind theory makes me wonder.  The
> Abraham reference makes sense.
>     But death is death.  You don't mean that he believes that his
> experiences will be carried on into his infant self, do you?  That
> doesn't make sense to me.

In this theory I'm assuming that the same thing will happen to Burt that
happened to Chris: when he nearly died after the hurricane he returned
to the time of his own birth, as an adult. If I'm right, Burt would
return to modern-day Rio Hato and could get fixed up there.

It's also possible that the death scene was faked. Burt didn't let Chris
check him very carefully. It's a bit too pat that Chris returned to the
battle scene just in time to receive Burt's dying bequest. Burt could
have used a safer means to return to the future after Chris left.