(urth) A new mystery ...

Bob Miller bob_bageera at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 3 04:15:35 PST 2008

> Severian I (clawless)  gained the phoenix throne, but did he become
> the New Sun? or is all of this Heirodules just trying to renurture him
> so that he has the character to pass the Trial.
> I guess I'd assumed that they saw him become the New Sun, but now I'm
> wondering if they just saw the potential.

I apologize, but I think I've missed something.  What is the "potential" that was seen?  While I personally perceive Severian as being unique and pretty wonderful (I'm in love with and have worn out my first copies of The Wizard Knight), I also can't help but feel that he "passed" because it was time for the New Sun much as, to overtly steal from Marcus Aurelius, grapevines produce grapes when it is the time of year for them to produce grapes.  I would be interested in responses.  Thanks for reading.
Bob