(urth) "Goodbye Old Buddy" -- Pirate Freedom murder mystery, take two

Henry Eissler henryeissleriii at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 2 20:59:02 PST 2008

Dave Tallman wrote:

> I recently posted a theory here that Chris/Ignacio murdered Valentin
> and helped Lesage set up Captain Burt for betrayal. I now think the
> truth is more complicated than that. Chris says confessions that don't
> confess are useless (p. 281). He spends time justifying why he will
> break his vow of chastity (p. 321). If he was planning all of these
> other horrible crimes, wouldn't he leave justifications for these
> also? It's also improbable that he would set Captain Burt up for
> betrayal in a way that could get Novia killed or raped. There are
> alternatives if other time travelers are involved. In particular,
> Captain Burt and Lesage could be time-travelers.

Dave,

    Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of Pirate Freedom to reference,
and it's been a year since I read it, but I'd like to make a couple
points, nonetheless.
    Others on this list postulated, and I happen to agree, that there
are at least 2 Chris2's.  Jaime being the other.  I read this spoiler
theory while I was still reading the book, and so noticed 2 things:  One
is that Chris does his musing about this world being either heaven or
hell right after Jaime burns to death horribly.  The other is Father
Chris asking God to please help him past the temptation to warn away
young Chris and his father (presumably to have Sabina all to himself).
I believe that Mr. Wolfe feels that, though there can be multiple
futures, there can be only one past.  So the Father Chris that did not
rise above the temptation (and must have left the monastery as soon as
he hit the past), must have gone insane when he saw Sabina's sketches of
young Chris.
    I would be willing to believe that there was also a Father Chris
bent on revenge.
    I do not, however, believe that Jaime sailed to New Guinea in order
to kill Valentin.  Valentin's murder is indeed mysterious.
    During the aforementioned discussion, I recall some supposition
about Bram Burt being another iteration of Chris.  I don't believe that,
but you do make some excellent points toward his also being a time
traveller.  I can't wait to buy myself a copy and read it again with
that in mind.
    One idea has occurred to me upon reading your theory and considering
it, and that is that though I assumed the first time through that Chris
was the product of genetic engineering ("...my father had me made..."),
it might actually be that he is a clone, and that clones with Chris'
face are not uncommon in his time.  Therefore it wouldn't surprise him
if Brother Ignacio had look-alikes at the monastery.  Just a thought.
    At any rate, to my mind, Brother Ignacio represents the best Father
Chris:  the one that gets to live in heaven.  I don't believe he would
have murdered Valentin or Bram Burt.
    I really loved this book.  Thanks for reminding me of it.
    ---H