(urth) A new mystery ...

Jordon Flato jordonflato at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 15:46:27 PST 2008

Well, one of the reasons I like the Eidolon theory (being the below
mentioned 'friend') is how it resonates thematically.  This would make
Severian not bodily resurrected (which he may or may not have been before,
with my vote for was), but resurrected in a 'subtle body', held together by
the 'mind of god'.  Things in quotes are meant to reflect my metaphoric
reading.  Sort of like Christ after the crucifiction.  So, as the New Sun,
he is really a 'new Severian', which is the Severian who becomes the
Concilitor.

So, the first incarnation of the Conciliator, the figure who has a huge
impact on Severian and Urth in BotNS, is in fact an Edilon Severian
resurrected, who comes back to Urth as the New Sun, who will subsequently
influence Severian in BotNS, who will go on to become Eidolon Severian etc
etc.  This time loop aspect is so damned attractive to me, and so brilliant
in so many ways.