(urth) "Goodbye Old Buddy" -- Pirate Freedom murder mystery, take two

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Tue Dec 2 12:27:42 PST 2008

I just found another reference that helps clinch the case for Captain Burt's
"Dago" anachronism, and ties him directly to Lesage.

Asuka calls Chris a "rital" and he says "I suppose she had picked that one
up from Lesage, along with the rest of her French" (p. 130). According to
the French Wikipedia entry for rital <http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rital> it
says (roughly translated) "This term was given by the French to the Italian
immigrant workmen who came in mass before and after the Second World War to
work in France and Belgium." Two anachronistic racial slurs for our two
suspected time travelers? This is probably no coincidence.