(urth) Hard Science Fantasy?

Lane Haygood lhaygood at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 18:03:05 PST 2008

Science fantasy was a genre long before Wolfe wrote "The Book of the
New Sun."

A part of it is not knowing (following Clarke's famous dictum).
That's the point of Jack Vance's "Dying Earth" books (to which the
BOTNS is both a pastiche and a homage): in the far future world,
wizards are those who command powers beyond normal ken, be they
supernatural or technological.  The point is that the storyteller (in
this case, Severian) doesn't know, and the readers aren't privileged
with that information either. Bear in mind that any "internal
consistency" of the story is only internally consistent if Severian
relates it to us consistently.  We already know he claims to have a
flawless memory, but the lousy sack of @#!!#$#$ is a liar at worst and
simply not introspective enough to know when he's being deceived or
deceiving himself.

Also, Wolfe is playing a kind of joke on us (that's what the
afterwords are, where he "explains" a lot of the things we find
perplexing).  Wolfe is telling us that he came into possession of
Severian's manuscript(s), as a collector of things that have fallen
backwards through time, and is translating them into English.  Because
there is some conceptual gap and drift between our modern-day English
(and the tropes and categories by which we understand things) and the
tropes and categories to which Severian would frame things, we end up
with things that somehow sort of resemble familiar concepts (solar
sails) but not quite because we're seeing them not as Severian saw
them (in actuality), but as Severian recalled them, translated them
into words, and those words were then translated for a world so far in
the past that certain words and concepts didn't even exist for what
Severian was describing.

The end result is something chimerical:  at times, it appears familiar
(oh, the Hieros are aliens come back to shepherd humanity among the
stars!) but then is not (they may be beings from a higher universe,
like angels!) but then is not again (they're not really angels but
"filthy Hiero-wasp creatures that may or may not be somehow the
descendants of the original starfaring humans).

The point is that we only know as much as Severian knows and is
truthfully relating, but we are not in a privileged position to know
where he is lying/being deceived and where he's not.  So we must take
everything as it given and subject it to endless critique in some
hopes of arriving at a hermeneutic understanding of just what in the
holy hell is going on.

*breathe*

Lane