(urth) Got a spare grand-and-half?

Matthew Keeley matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 16:22:01 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 7:12 PM, Son of Witz <sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org> wrote:

> Did Preuss understand what he read?  Seems to have missed the boat in a lot of ways.  Obviously he's done a lot of hard work and some of this stuff looks great.  But I have lots of issues with these not conforming to the text very closely.  I have so many complaints here I should just not get started, I suppose.

Well, I think that at various times we've all missed the New Sun boat
in one way or another. I don't think any of the illustrations conform
to my view of Urth, though "Leaving Nessus" isn't too bad (though the
city is too futuristic by far). I think the biggest failure is the
"floating city", which I take it is Preuss' illustration of the
Pelerine's "cathedral".

Like you said, I could nitpick for hours, but won't.

By not showing much of Severian, and never showing him in decent
light, Preuss did at least solve the vexed problem of Sev's chest
hair...

-Matt