(urth) House Absolute

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Dec 1 09:19:23 PST 2008

Thanks for the links, Tim. It looks like the "exact" origin of Nessus is unsettled enough for my theory to fit without contradicting anyone else's South American theory. I agree that a nod to Borges is extremely likely---without necessarily dictating exact coordinates.

And I think the posters' suspicions about Severian's descriptions of spatial relations is fair on several levels. He has occupied several different bodies---how could he comfortably describe Thecla's left hand, just as a random example, as being on his (Severian's) right, when he also had known it to be on his (Thecla's) left?

As an aside, I'm skeptical about any theory that "extreme" amounts of time have passed. There is simply no thematic or plot need for Urth to drastically change, nor for continents to change for the 20th century to be utterly forgotten and for cities to rise where now no cities are. Myth is as much about changes that occur on the same landscape as it is about what stays the same when the ground changes. Severian describes plastic as being still near the surface. Climate, sedimentation, and minor river movement are all fast changes vs any kind of mountain formation; so are language change/loss, cultural memory loss, and the replacement of political systems.

The pampas are still there, as are the northern jungles, the Andes with its lakes, and the southern mists.

Message: 4