(urth) House Absolute

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon Dec 1 07:45:34 PST 2008

O'Donnell, Tim (BOSI) wrote:
> All valid points and the assertion that the House Absolute is Mt
> Cheyenne is cheerfully withdrawn!
> As was discussed here recently it is not one of those plot points that
> is vital to book.
> However, I will still cling to the possibility that it is an underground
> nuclear base; there is a section where
> Severian notes strange hexadecimal shapes (someone on this list
> speculated that these were the biohazard symbol).
> That would certainly fit with this theory.

During the chilliads between our age of Myth and Severian's time, most
extant buildings and underground structures will have served any number
of purposes. Many underground locations appearing in the book show signs
of defensive infrastructure ("hypogeum apotropaic" can be read as
"underground bunker"), and underground bunkers have been useful since
the advent of rifled artillery and mandatory since the dawn of bomber
aircraft.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >