(urth) New Wolfe Listing on Amazon

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Fri Aug 22 01:43:01 PDT 2008

Roy C. Lackey wrote:
> I note that in these lists of named stories, those mentioned most often and
> indeed the majority of selections come from Wolfe's earliest collections.
> Not many stories from his last three collections are chosen, or even stories
> published in the last ten years or so. With a few exceptions, not many of
> these newer stories have even received much discussion around here. Now why
> should that be?

I don't think the quality of Wolfe's writing has gone down, but perhaps
he has toned down the puzzle elements in his later stories so there is
less for us to discuss. Another possibility is that the high-quality
discussions in the old archives inspire us to appreciate those stories
more, so we just need to initiate new discussions.

Here are some stories I like from the later collections which I think
merit more discussion:
In Glory Like Their Star (2001)
 From the Cradle (2002)
Of Soil and Climate (2004)