(urth) PEACE: One Devil

stoneox17 at aol.com stoneox17 at aol.com
Mon Apr 28 15:41:34 PDT 2008

 Dave Tallman <davetallman at msn.com> writes

> It's interesting that Miss Hadow's a woman of age forty
> to forty-five. (Is it a coincidence that this is the
> same age range we get for Weer when Van Ness hears about
> his predicted stroke at 60?) It's perhaps odd that a woman
> of this age would think of Carole Lombard when she sees
> the picture of Candy. If it was 1975, she would have
> been born in 1930 at the earliest and would have been too
> young to see Lombard in her heyday. (On the other hand,
> Mrs. Tilly may have died before Lombard made any movies --
> I'm not certain of her death date.)

These questions gave me an idea.

There are a number of mysteries about Weer's secretaries.
Why does he call her "Miss Birkhead" when the death
notice says "Helen Birkhead Tyler"  and she is survived by
her husband and two children.  How does she get sick and die
so quickly?  Why does he not recognize Miss Hadow, who is
Mr. Scudder's secretary?

I'm going to propose that she was unmarried when Weer was
president, and that after he died, she got married, had two children,
(possibly quit her job), got sick and died.  That is, this is another
case of the real world intruding into Weer's memories.  Does this
seem possible?

Peter