(urth) PEACE: One Devil

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Fri Apr 25 12:55:12 PDT 2008

Dave Tallman wrote:
>With all this positive and Christian associations about her I can no
>longer cast her as a murderess. I think her visit to Weer about the
>grave is more like a prophecy. As many have noticed, there is a parallel
>with "A Christmas Carol."
[snip]
>6) Stewart Blaine contradicts Weer on many details of the party where
>the Tilly story was told. Many seem to be his errors, but he may be
>correct that the party was at Christmas instead of a birthday (p. 174).

Uh, I hate to play Dickens with this theory, but . . .

The party took place shortly after the July picnic. The occasion was
Macafee's 41st birthday on August 3 (p. 75) and, assuming that Den was born
in 1914, the year was 1923. Olivia's birthday was in November. (ibid.) In
her jockeying with him for possession of the Egg, she had to give it to him
before he could give it to her for her birthday, so the party had to take
place before Christmas, and it did.

Blaine was wrong not only about the month, he was also wrong about the party
taking place before Prohibition, which began in 1920.

-Roy