(urth) Etymology/meaning/onomatopoeic aspects of the word "Urth"

Ron Crown crownrw at slu.edu
Thu Apr 24 10:57:16 PDT 2008

Pavel,

If Ur means in Czech what it does in German, viz., "a long time ago,"
"originally," then the connotation of "Urzeme" is directly the opposite
of what Wolfe was trying to achieve with "Urth" by distancing from our
customary term "Earth" to underscore the distance in time from us.
Translation is always tricky and I've long wondered how the unusual
words that Wolfe used in the Book of the New Sun would be translated.
I've got both German and French editions of the Book but haven't managed
to work all the way through them yet.  The German edition does use
"Urth," however, while the French uses "Teur" which does something
similar to "Terre" that "Urth" does to "Earth."

A  lot of Wolfe's nuances would, I think, be virtually impossible to
convey in another language, for example, how do you convey the
Christ/Apollo connotations of the New Sun/Son?  German at least has a
degree of assonance (Sonne/Sohn) but French (fils, soleil)?
Ron Crown