(urth) Long Review Essay on Wizard Knight

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Sat Sep 22 23:22:22 PDT 2007

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Adam Stephanides wrote:

> The idea of Able as a Mary-Sue (the technical term for a male specimen
> is Gary-Stu) hadn't occurred to me, but it makes sense. It had crossed
> my mind that Able may have been wish-fulfillment on Wolfe's part.

I think that TWK is written (as perhaps _The Devil in a Forest_ is) as a
traditional boys own adventure.  It's supposed to be alluring to us young
folks, didactic, and morally uplifting ;)

Able is a perfect knight within that milieu.  Just as anyone in the
military hierarchy does, he frequently teaches uppity inferiors a lesson
or two (one might recall Severian then Roche? as chief of the
apprentices).

David Duffy,