(urth) Long Review Essay --Able's character

Matthew King automatthew at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 08:44:37 PDT 2007

On Sep 20, 2007, at 7:59 AM, Bob Miller wrote:

> From the trust  and chance given by the Valfather he became more
> than he was--bullying brawler on one hand and sex slave to a
> creature of moss and twigs on the other.

Here's an odd thought:  the story of Disiri and Able is directly
parallel to that of Lara and Green in _There Are Doors_.   The
resemblance is strong enough that I think Wolfe was revisiting the idea.

The stories are very different, but this idea is fundamental to
both:  "goddess" unworthy of worship seduces an earthly male, who is
thereafter bound to her, searching, faithful, and unrewarded.

In _There Are Doors_, Green is saved, in some sense, by becoming
capable of love, even if only eros for an erotic pagan goddess.

In _The Wizard Knight_, Able's love is, at the end, able even to
redeem Disiri.