(urth) Long Review Essay on Wizard Knight

Brent Dyer brentdyer at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 18 13:32:21 PDT 2007

I agree with Chris and, at the risk of piling on, would amplify his point even a little more.

Unlike many (most? almost all?) authors, Wolfe does not present his themes in a simple, didactic format designed to lead the reader to the answer.  Most authors make it clear what behavior they approve or disapprove of by the ultimate outcome.  If a character does something "bad," that character will ultimately suffer as a result or, at the very least, the reader will see how that action causes misery to other, sympathetic characters.  In Wolfe, on the other hand, "bad" behavior frequently goes unpunished or, even worse, it will only hurt unsympathetic characters.  Personally, I think that this makes Wolfe's writing especially realistic because it reflects what really happens---bad people do go unpunished and bad acts frequently do seem to cause ambivalent results.  I think that Wolfe is reflecting the real-life tension between ethics and reality and is challenging his readers to examine their own ideas and feelings on these issues rather than simply
 asking them to agree with his own.

I also have to say that I disagree pretty strongly with Stephen on his argument that there is a tension between Abel as a "modern American teenager" and his ready acceptance of a rigidly hierarchical society.  As the father of 5 budding pre-teens between the ages of 8 and 12, I think Wolfe has it exactly right.  American teenagers live every day of their lives in a hierarchical society, albeit a society in which they sometimes have the ability to change classes.  Abel did exactly what most American teenagers would do if they suddenly became the strongest, most talented, best looking person around--he stepped right up to try to join the top of the hierarchy.

Thank for sharing your review Chris, it's interesting to read the opinion of someone who didn't enjoy the books at much as I.