(urth) Setr's 1000 Year Reich

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Fri Sep 14 02:29:54 PDT 2007

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:42:57 +1000 "Roy C. Lackey"
<rclackey at stic.net> wrote:
>Andrew wrote:
>>When Setr/Garsecg meets Art/Able, he speaks of his coup in
>Aelfrice
>>as dating from 1,000 (Mythgathr) years in the past.
>
>Do you have the citation for that figure?
>
>-Roy

Yup, a couple of places:

- Knight, end of Ch.22. Garsecg to Art, as they first come to the
tower & before Able has guessed that he is Setr. Garsecg has told
Able that Setr made the Aelf build it & gather weapons there,
before some of the Aelf drove him off. Nevertheless, Setr returns
from time to time. Then: "We have been pillaging his trove a
thousand years ..."

- Knight, beginning of Ch.26. Garsecg to Art, talking about the
Aelf-war which drove Setr out. "A thousand of your years have
passed since that war ..."

Some other bits & pieces:

-  In Ch.22, Garsecg says to Art: "The king's [Anthor's] royal
father lay with a woman of my race ... Of their union, three
children were born." A single union, resulting in triplets? If so,
can't solve the puzzle by assuming that Uthor sired Setr a long
time before Arnthor (although Uri does tell Art in Wizard Ch.34
that Setr was the oldest child).

- But we do know that Setr's birth occured at least 40-50 Mythgathr
years before his meeting with Art - simply because he took Mag when
Able was an infant, and Berthold is 30-40 years older than when
Able left.