(urth) The poor Aelf

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Sat Sep 29 00:36:59 PDT 2007

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 08:15:56 +1000 "Roy C. Lackey"
<rclackey at stic.net> wrote:
>Rostrum wrote:
>>But to take a completely different tack, maybe we need to
>question
>>this idea that the Aelf have no souls.  How do we know that?  Who

>told
>>them that?
>
>It was Able who delivered the info (WIZARD, p-46), but it seems to

>be common
>knowledge. Its validity is apparently corroborated by Able's view
>of Disiri
>while wearing the magic helmet. The Aelf are granted very long
>natural lives
>in compensation.

Well, to be precise, Able only says that Aelf spirits are mortal,
whereas human spirits are immortal. I guess it may be reasonable to
assume that a mortal spirit doesn't count as a "soul", in the sense
you intend, in this universe - but the point is debatable.

I think one of the questions in the background for many of Wolfe's
books is: "Where's Jesus & what difference will he make?". The
heroes are sometimes kind of clunky Jesus-prototypes, dimly
foreshadowing the real McCoy. Able's little personal salvation
effort, driven by his personal little love, prefigures the
salvation of all creatures which will be driven by all-embracing
divine love - etc etc etc.

Why Jesus hasn't impinged on Mythgathr so far - dunno!

But something like that is IMO the only way of making sense of the
entirely valid points you raise.