(urth) FW: Long Review Essay on Wizard Knight

Michael Straight mfstraight at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 11:19:51 PDT 2007

On 9/25/07, Phill Springett <Phill.Springett at dataconnection.com> wrote:

> Which I find nothing to disagree with, and yet Wolfe makes it quite
> clear that Able is actually a product of _our_ society, and fits in
> quite well in Mythgarthr thank you very much, and rises up the ranks
> with indecent haste (almost as if he was born to it!). Is Wolfe making
> some point there?

Yes and no.  There's that whole bit of stuff that happens to Able
before Knight begins, after which he is something of a tabla rasa.

Able is from our world, but he seems to bring nothing from it to
Mythgarthr.  The only thing Wolfe really does with Able's our-worldly
origins is make him unfamiliar with certain aspects of Mythgarthr.
Able might as well be a Mythgarthr native with amnesia for all the
difference it makes in what he brings personally to his adventures.

Rostrum