(urth) C.S. Lewis's influence

Andy Robertson andywrobertson at clara.co.uk
Wed Sep 5 03:20:05 PDT 2007

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes writes:

>  grew up with Lewis, had read the
> trilogy several times before tSotT came out, and I quite honestly
> never felt that sense of familiarity in going the other direction.

Ditto, and ditto

I'm sure Wolfe has read Lewis, but I don't see any sort of direct influence.

What I do see is that Wolfe in the New/Long/Short sun books is writing in
the same genre as Lewis in his SF trilogy - religious science fiction that
presupposes the objective reality of angelic beings and of god - and that
this is a genre so sparsely exploited today that one may see linkages of a
type that are not there.

hartshorn

http://www.thenightland.co.uk

01273-488272 / 0777-214-9545