(urth) Hierogrammates

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Thu Oct 4 08:15:14 PDT 2007

Roy C. Lackey wrote:
> It's not hard to find evidence in the text of the Urth Cycle to counter the
> idea that Wolfe intended the Hierogrammates to be seen as bad guys. I've
> pointed out such evidence in past discussions. Still, if the Hierogrammates
> are good guys, they seem to be aggressively exercising the Pelagian belief
> that man can achieve salvation by his own efforts, without need of a
> redeemer.

There might be an admixture of Teilhard de Chardin in that through aeons
of effort, mankind achieves salvation by producing/becoming the
grace-giving Godhead. The cyclic nature of Briah allows this to happen
in the middle, rather than at the end of time.

Or it could be that the Hierogrammates were intended to appear to have
some of the duality of Clarke's Overlords.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >