(urth) Mantis on some NEW SUN names

Rex Lycanthrosaurus lycanthrosaurus at fastmail.fm
Thu Nov 29 00:31:12 PST 2007

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 01:42:39 -0500 (EST), brunians at brunians.org said:
> It seems that you are assuming that the names relate to some influence or
> other?  Has there been any discussion of Stevensonian influences?

Nothing that I'm aware of, though I haven't read all of the lycocentric
littérature, but at least one short story ("The Walking Stick") draws
directly on "Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" (a parallel perhaps
of the Thecla/Severian relationship?), while a residue of "Treasure
Island" might be intrinsic to _Pirate Freedom._ (Alas, I've never been
able to find any connection between Stevenson's "Imp in the Bottle" and
the mandragora.)
--
  Rex Lycanthrosaurus
  lycanthrosaurus at fastmail.fm