(urth) Tzadkiel's ship

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 13:51:22 PST 2007

On Nov 28, 2007 12:41 PM, Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com> wrote:

> > Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
> > The fact that we're told this armorial ship is 'a ship volant' is a
> > punning clue that in this case, it's probably a spaceship. Since
> > Tzadkiel's ship plays such a key role in Severian's life, it seems a
> > pretty safe bet that it's meant to be Tzad's.
>
> Volant means flying, but could figuratively mean the ship is depicted
> moving swiftly under sail power, vide The Flying Dutchman.

Actually, that wasn't me, but I agree with what was said. "Volant"
in heraldry most definitely *does* mean "flying," and is not to be
taken figuratively - indeed, none of the descriptive terms in heraldry
are to be taken figuratively, as they are intended to instruct an artist
exactly how to paint the arms. If the ship were in water, it would be
"natant."

There is no reasonable question that the ship in question is a spaceship.
I think it quite clear that (this being Sev's tomb, or one of them), it is
Tzadkiel's ship, but I can see some room for debate - i.e., it *could* be
a ship of the sort in the Citadel, a sign of Autarchial (or pre-Autarchial)
power.

(If the old "Sev is Typhon's son/clone/etc." theories still have any
adherents, btw, this would be a minor point in favor, modulo the
suggestion  that the ship on the tomb is one of those Typhon once
commanded.)

Cheers.

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----