(urth) Questions . . .

brunians at brunians.org brunians at brunians.org
Tue Nov 27 11:01:08 PST 2007

> On Nov 27, 2007, at 11:34 AM, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
>
>> The bit about a hero fleshed from dreams foreshadows
>> the concept of "aquastors" and in particular the fact that the
>> Severian who becomes the New Sun is himself an aquastor, fleshed
>> from his own will (dream)

> This may relate to 1 Corinthians 15:44, where Paul describes the
> resurrection body as "soma pneumatikon", as opposed to the "soma
> psuchikon" that we are born with.  English translations of this verse
> are difficult, because it opposes two concepts that we think of
> synonymous, or nearly so.

Speak for yourself.

Anyone who wants to understand scripture reads it in the original.

> Pneuma is usually translated: "spirit", or "breath".  Psuche is
> "soul" or "life", also sometimes "breath".

Rarely. We also use breath as a synonym for life, occasionally 'the breath
ran out of him'.

>                                        Most translations of 1Cor
> 15:44 have the resurrection body being a "spiritual body".  Many
> translations then render "soma psuchikon" as "physical body", because
> the opposite of a spiritual body must be a physical one, never mind
> what the text actually says.  The translation I hate the least
> (linked below) has "natural body" for "soma psuchikon", which is
> somewhat less of a distortion, but still obviously a gloss on the
> text.  A fair translation of this passage would admit that we really
> don't know what Paul meant by opposing psuchikon to pneumatikon,
> perhaps by just adjectivizing the word "soul".

Pardon, the differentiation between soul and spirit (breath) is ancient.
Way older than St Paul. It's also pretty clear what is meant by the two
terms.

You find this differentiation in every language (that I know of) that has
been used to discuss theology.

And then there's nous.

.