(urth) Questions . . .

Eric Ortlund eortlund at briercrest.ca
Tue Nov 27 10:10:48 PST 2007

That quote about coincidence is perfect; I gotta remember that.

Thanks for the superb answers; it's deeply satisfying to see the deeper
coherence to this story lurking beneath the whirlwind of events.

I'm again struck by the "repetition" of themes in Wolfe - and I don't at
all mean that as a criticism, because his themes are supberb! - but
people don't tend to stay who they are in his books.  Obviously Silk is
the parade example of this, but it also happens in WK with Ben.  It's
like the same issues keep coming up in Wolfe's mind, surfacing
repeatedly in his novels.

As far as quercine penetralia - i.e., the inner recesses (penetralia) of
an oak (quercine) - I have absolutely no idea.  Oak trees don't seem to
show up anywhere else in the book.  Ships do, but oak trees?

Not to belabor this, but I'm noticing this time through the BHS the
intentional ambiguity of Severian's character - or, rather, the names
associated with him.  He's constantly called Death (by the Autarch, by
Dr. Talos) - which is true, since he's going to destroy the world in
bringing about the New Sun.  But when Dorcas and Sev talk after being
reunited before the play in the House Absolute, as I remember, Dorcas
calls Severian life, and says that the name Death is something of a
deceitful insult given him by Talos.  Dorcas is right, of course,
because Severian will renew everything; and it is an interesting comment
on Talos' character, as if he's trying to obscure what the New Sun will
bring about.

One more comment and I promise to stop: I couldn't help noticing how
Severian launches into a description of the beauty of the gardens in
which they perform their play (before giving the text of the play) just
after telling how he essentially rapes Jolenta and breaks Dorcas' heart
- almost as if he's trying to distract attention from the terrible thing
he's done.  It reminded me of his narration of the execution of . . .
blast, what's her name, the woman he executes in Saltus, who says she
forgives everyone.  The moral proportions of the story are all wrong -
the man is reading the edict, which asks for forgiveness for the persons
doing the execution, but Severian and the crowd see the execution as a
matter of entertainment or simply doing one's job well (when talking
with Jonas in the hotel later, all Severian says is that he did his job
well - that's all he cares about).  The contrast between Morwenna (is
that her name?) forgiving her executors and Severian pracing around the
stage not once but four times, holding her severed head, celebrating the
skill with which he killed her while the crowd roars, oblivious to the
moral import of his victim forgiving him, couldn't be uglier.