(urth) Questions . . .

Eric Ortlund eortlund at briercrest.ca
Tue Nov 27 09:57:50 PST 2007

Hi Jeff -

This is a very interesting answer: I'm suspicious that the story does
work on several levels/apply in several different directions.  The
identity of both Jonas and Severian is, of course, problematic: both
change into something else (Jonas into something at least partially
human after his ship crashes, and Severian after he dies in Urth of the
New Sun and is re-constituted as an eidelon or aquastor or whatever).
And both sail on ships.  So the man fleshed from dreams might be a kind
of allegory (at least partially) for either of their lives.

It's difficult to disassociate the naviscaput (navis = ship, caput =
head) from Abaia.  But I wonder if the "Pelagic Argosy" might hint in
both ways . . . as a "ship of the deeps" or something like that, it
might hint at Abaia and the forces of chaos coming out of the sea to
storm the land.  The fact that Vodalus is in league with these powers
would support that.  On the other hand, I wonder if it is more likely
that, since the phrase is of the ship of the deeps sighting land, it
refers more hopefully to the ships Sev sails on - the one to Yesod, and
the one on Urth after the flood destroys everything.  That the ship
sights land is a hopeful sign; it can come to rest (whether on Yesod or
a purged Urth).  Ironically, Vodulas is speaking better than he knows
about the coming of the new sun.