(urth) Tzadkiel's ship

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Thu Nov 29 21:52:47 PST 2007

hartshorn wrote:
>Except that on Urth "ship" typically means spaceship.
>
>Sea ships are more commonly referred to as "boats," "vessels," etc.
>
>(can anyone instance the contrary usage?  My copy of   BOTNS is not to
>hand.)

CITADEL, chapter XXXIII, second page. Severian, speaking of the _Samru_,
"The ship's only real armament, a swivel gun . . ."

The appendix also mentions "Severian's failure to distinguish clearly
between space-going and ocean-going craft." [in the "manuscripts"]

Baldanders also says, in answering Valeria's question about who will live if
the continents die, "Those on ships, possibly. Those whose ships are in the
air or in the void, certainly." It is clear from the context that the first
sentence refers to ships at sea. (URTH, chapter XLII, p-300)

-Roy