(urth) Chris' last name *Pirate freedom*

Rex Lycanthrosaurus lycanthrosaurus at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 27 13:05:56 PST 2007

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 11:00:52 -0800, "Duncan Truter" <dtruter at gmail.com>
said:

> Hi. Does anyone have any idea what Chris' last name is? He mentions it
> but never says what it is.

> It couldn't be Columbus, could it?

Columbus seems unlikely, since it is neither long nor difficult to
pronounce (ditto for the variants Colombo and Colón), about the only two
clues we're given besides the implication Chris's last name is Italian.
Certain historical data also suggest this is a later period than 1492,
though with time travel, I suppose anything's possible.

In one of my earlier PF posts, however, I suggest Chris might be named
after a former listmember and illuminary of these pages. That person
I'll now further identify as (Michael) Andre-Driussi.

Think about it. The name is Italian, it's long (12 letters/five
syllables) and up until mantis himself recently revealed here how it's
pronounced ("...nobody can say my name,[it's] dree-YOU-see"), I'd always
assumed his name was pronounced 'dry-OOH-see.'

Wolfe also imports another real life buddy of his into the narrative,
Pat "The Rat" O'Leary -- so why not the lexicographic Andre-Driussi?

Don't suppose anyone knows whether or not mantis's middle name is
Christopher? Or how he acquired the dual name to begin with, by
birthright or marriage? (My hyphenated children bear the names of both
my wife and myself.) The odd thing here is that 'Driussi' seems to be a
variant of the name 'Andre,' which sort of makes mantis our version of
Boutros Boutros-Ghali or Rin Tin Tin. <gr>

Rex (as in 'Roy') LYCAnthrosaurus (more fun with wordplay!)

--
  Rex Lycanthrosaurus
  lycanthrosaurus at fastmail.fm

                          or over the web