(urth) Questions . . .

Matthew King automatthew at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 11:05:07 PST 2007

On Nov 27, 2007, at 12:11 PM, Pedro Pereira wrote:

> If you read Wolfe's interviews its perfectely clear that he did not
> plan out the whole Book from the start. It began as a short story
> that eventually grew out into 4 volumes.

Summary from http://templetongate.tripod.com/genewolfe.htm of a
relevant bit from  _The Castle of the Otter_ (which I own, but don't
care to run upstairs for):

Wolfe reports, though, that he had the four volumes completed in
second draft only before he went back to the first book and gave it
its final polish. This was done in order for all the intricacies of
the plot to work out to his satisfaction in the final book. One of
the most amazing aspects about the whole ordeal is the confidence
shown in Wolfe's ability to "deliver the goods" by both Kidd and
Hartwell. Contracts for the tetralogy and a short story collection
were signed by all parties before either agent, editor, or publisher
had read one word of the work in question.